The following is taken directly from the LRMS Character Education CUrriculum revised 2008.
Through this curriculum it is our intention to reflect upon and improve our mission objective and ground rules for infusing a character education program at Lake Riviera Middle School. This curriculum endeavors to:
- Identify and define traits for the program.
- Inform the community about the program through public relations campaign/surveys, educational material, recruiting community leaders and local businesses, and maintain an interactive web site.
- Create a caring and safe environment with healthy community involvement
We will ensure that:
- A proactive and comprehensive approach, which promotes core values in all phases of the school, will be in place
- The school will be a caring community.
- Students will have opportunities to improve their character development through moral action which includes service-learning
- Character Education will be infused into a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum.
GOALS for the infusion of a Character Education program at Lake Riviera Middle School:
- To maintain a positive moral culture in the school including cognitive, emotional and behavioral aspects
- To strengthen the relationship of administration, faculty, and support personnel of the school (including secretaries, paraprofessionals, bus drivers, custodians and health professionals).
- To model a moral community that adheres to and demonstrates the core values.
- To gain parent/community involvement reinforcing the core values of character education outside of school.
OBJECTIVE 1: to infuse Character Education into Lake Riviera Middle School by promoting core ethical values such as: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship, as stated in the 6 Pillars of Character philosophy
OBJECTIVE 2: to enhance our Leadership Council which will consist of administrators, teachers, student leaders, parents and community leaders.
OBJECTIVE 3: to infuse all values into daily curricula whereby the staff will become moral leaders and model the core values
OBJECTIVE 4: to involve the students with the implementation of the Core Values students
OBJECTIVE 5: to publicize and promote the Lake Riviera Middle School Character Education Mission Statement and Pledge to which everyone, including community stakeholders, will be committed.
OBJECTIVE 6: to invite and encourage parental and community involvement.
Yearly evaluation of Character Education programs and projects will reflect upon three unique criteria which will identify successful maintenance and continual improvement of a caring and safe environment.